Monday, June 24, 2019

My Role

My role for this music project is the Rehearsal Manager. I will be taking charge of what the band will be doing during rehearsal and when these rehearsals will be taking place. This includes the songs we will be practising, how long each song will be practised and making sure the band have previous knowledge of the upcoming rehearsal. In order to enable ease of access to all members of the band, I made a group chat on WhatsApp with all members so that information could go around easily.

The main idea of our rehearsal plans included having 3 rehearsals during the week. These days included; Monday 10:20 - 11:30, Tuesday 11:40 - 12:50 & Wednesday 1:20 - 2:30. We weren't able to do a practice on Thursdays as everyone was busy on those days as most of us have A level exams coming up. Fridays were dedicated to doing some music related work for our upcoming show.

1. On the 6th of May I made known to the band what songs we would be practising for the 7th of May. I suggested we practised Shanade Song & Diana's Song, If there was time I planned to touch on Lyssa's song. My reason behind choosing to rehearse these songs were because; Diana had changed her song from  to Dirty Dirty and we as a band hadn't gone through it so it was important we familiarised ourselves with it. Shanade hadn't been 100% sure of what song she would do until she picked Rihanna - What Now. Similarly we had to familiarise ourselves with the song as a band, also she made mention that she wanted to change the key as it was too high for her. Lyssa picked her song on the same day as the rehearsal and I didn't want to wait too long till we touched on the song as it could cause her to start changing her song. So I decided we would hear the song and attempt to find the chords and at least run through the chorus.

2. On the morning 8th of May I informed the band what we'll be practising Janelle and Hafusat's Songs. I decided to do these songs as they had some transitions which we as the band needed to work on. Also although we were familiar and confident with the styles and aspect of the songs, we needed to get the structures of the song down. Both singers chose to do a compilation of 2 songs for their sets and in order to make this compilation of a high standard, it was important that the transitions were smooth. 

However, we couldn't practise that day as I had forgot we had no rehearsals on Friday's, So instead I planned to do the songs for the rehearsal that upcoming Monday being the 13th.

3. I made sure to remind the band that outside practice of the songs are important for the development of our pieces. It was important that I made this known as most of the band do have exams and they may not focus much on the show ahead as they may feel overwhelmed by exams.

4. For the week ahead I planned to split the band into instrumentalists and vocalists with the vocalists having Kwaha to assist them by playing keys for each song they practice whilst us instrumentalist will have the Dele playing keys for us. I believe this would help the songs get better overall as it would be easier to focus differently on the instrumental aspect and vocal aspect separately. Some people mentioned that their songs didn't get much focus due to how short we rehearsed their songs for. So I made sure for the following rehearsals I made sure each song had equal rehearsal time.


4. I reminded the group the plan for the week on the morning of Monday 13th of May so everyone was sure of our plans. I also mentioned that no one be late so we can utilise our time efficiently.

Unfortunately, there was a serious lack of attendance so we couldn't do the split up plan during the rehearsal. This caused a serious set back to the rehearsal and the rehearsal plan. I made sure to express my frustration to the group just after our rehearsal time.

5. The following day, after informing the group what we will be practising, I told them all to mention on the group chat if anyone would be late to any rehearsal. Due to lateness issues again I decided to not do the plan this rehearsal as members crucial to the rehearsal informed me they'd be absent. Instead we used the time to go through some other members songs who were present. Although not part of my plan, it was better than to do nothing.

6. On Wednesday 15th of May I had planned to do Fabrianna's song as it was the only one we hadn't really dug deep into yet . However the Promoting and Marketing people wanted to do a photo shoot that day as well for the show's posters. I mentioned that I didnt advise we do them both on the same day and time as it is crucial that our rehearsal time be used more effectively. Seeing as it was the only day people were available to do it on, I mentioned that we would do it at the beginning of the practise but for no more than 30 mins as I only planned to do one song that day anyway.

When it got to the time of the rehearsal we had to start with Fabriannas song as there was some issues with booking a photo studio. We were able to do the split rehearsal idea but not exactly as I had planned. As Shanade was sorting out the photo studio the band rehearsed the song with Fabrianna, after about 13 mins of rehearsing we were called to do the pictures in the studio. Once that finished we had about 20 minutes to continue the rehearsal. The Bv's went over their parts with Fabrianna before joining the instrumentalists for a full group rehearsal.
        

7. On Friday 17th of May,  I informed the group that I wouldn't be available during the rehearsal on Monday as I had an A level exam which would clash with our rehearsal time. In order to make sure the rehearsal was going to run, I mentioned that I would deliberate with the deputy Rehearsal manager and he would inform the group on Sunday 19th of what the rehearsal would include. 

8. Unfortunately I couldn't get in touch with the deputy so I made the decision of doing Fabrianna and Shanade's songs. I chose to do these 2 songs as they were the only songs the group hadn't really got to grips with. I also mentiomed they should go over Lyssa song as it didnt need much practice as the others, it was our strongest piece at the time.

However I was informed that Shanade and Fabrianna also had an exam that day. I was then given the idea that the group should do Diana and Hafusat's songs. I took this on board as it was a good idea and also I didn't want to abuse my role by having every single rehearsal decision made by me without any input from the group.

9. After my exam I queried the group on the rehearsal in order to make sure things went according to plan. I was giving the response that they did Diana, Hafusat and Lyssa's songs. This made me feel a lot less stressed about me not being in rehearsals due to exams because i now know that they are still able to function without me being there. I also used that opportunity to ask Fabrianna if we could do her song the next day alongside Shanade's.

10. On Tuesday 21st of May, there was a lack of attendance without notice, however Shanade mentioned she'd be late. We were able to go through Shanade's song in the beginning. However after a discussion she decided she would change the song. People did start turning up later during the rehearsal so we had some time left to do Fabrianna's when she arrived.

At the end of Tuesday's rehearsal we planned to run through Shanade's song, becuase she was doing a new song and we needed to learn it as quickly as possible, whilst the Bv's went through Fabrianna and Janelle's songs. I made sure to mention this again on the group chat. After going through Shanade's song and the Bv's had finished, we came together to practise those 3 songs.

11. On the 17th of June I informed the group about the busy week we had ahead. On that Wednesday, we were going to be performing Lyssa's song for Battle of the Bands and I felt that was of the upmost importance. so our rehearsal that day was going to be focused on her song. 

Members of the group informed me they would have an exam. However once the Keyboardist said he wasn't coming, people started dropping out of rehersals which I wasn't happy with. In this mood I sent a paragraph expressing my unhappiness and trying o motivate the group to come in. Our teacher Dele also assisted me in this by sending voice notes into the group chat. People eventually turned up although they were a bit late. 

However during the actual rehearsal, once we finished rehearsing her song we decided to do a run through of the other songs in order to highlight any possible mistakes which needed to be rectified in time for the show which was this Friday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment